I realize it has been a long time since I have written on the family blog. I see that most of the posts are of Dean and his mission, so I felt I needed to put in a line. Today was a great day for me and I wish to share with all the blessing it is to be a student at BYU-Idaho.
I am in my last year at BYU-Idaho. I have had many opportunities to talk to people about the wonderful aspects of this university. I love to share about how the school is growing and changing. I love to share with others about the honor code, the student living model, the Integrated Business Core, the growing alumni network, and the learning model (my personal favorite). These things are impressive to some; however, many people still seem to see BYU-I as the school that gives students a second chance if they didn't get into BYU. I have felt this a number of times while talking to friends and family. After I tell a story of an achievement or accomplishment that happened at BYU-I, it is not uncommon to hear a response like, "Oh, you go to BYU-Idaho." This also happens while trying to network with other members of the church. I tell them that I am interested in their field of work, I ask how they got into the industry, and if they have any pointers for someone that is where they were a few years ago. They ask to hear more about what I'm doing now. I tell them about leadership experiences, internships, and related classes I have taken, but when I say something about BYU-Idaho they react a little different. I just think that people don't understand all that goes on at BYU-Idaho.
I wish everyone would try to understand what President Kim B. Clark (former Dean of Harvard Business School) and other administrators are doing with this school. They are changing the way that learning happens.
Today, Forbes released their rank of universities in the country. BYU-Idaho was ranked #116. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/94/colleges-09_Americas-Best-Colleges_Name_2.html
I know that is not the most important thing, but I feel the school is beginning to receive some more of the recognition it deserves. I hope this starts to change the tone people use when they say, "Oh, you go to BYU-Idaho?" I love this school and know that The Lord wanted me to go here, even though I did have opportunities to go to other schools. It is a blessing to be a part of the building of Zion. We all have different places The Lord wants us to be. The important part is that we are of one heart, mind, and purpose.
I love you all.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice post, Neil! I admit I have been one to think that people who go to BYU Idaho would really have rather gone to BYU. I'm so glad that it is now a University and gaining respect and recognition. But, most of all I'm so happy that you love it there. I always knew you would be very successful and make a difference in the world. Good luck in all you do! Way to go Idaho!
Post a Comment