Monday, April 13, 2009

Elder Spencer

Hello once again!
This will have to be a shorter email...because with Conference being today we were rushed and the library is closing soon! But, I will try to fit in as much as I can. It was another great week here in the Midwest!
Conference: Isn't it great?! The sessions were great and conference takes on such a new excitement since I am on a mission. We were really blessed with the two sessions that have just happened today we had three investigators come. Some weeks it is hit and miss and this week it is great to see them come. It's so excitiing to hear these men and women speak about life. Life isn't easy, but with boosts like these we can see that trials are about of life and we can get through them with eachother and the support of our Heavenly Father. He is always there!
The work: It was a great week with some great lessons. It's exciting because I am starting to see my growth in how I can go out and talk to people on campus. One of the days we went out and I had some great conversations with people. They came from very different ways of life and had their own personalities, but we always found soemthing in common or were able to spend tmie talking about life or faith or anything adn then they would listen to things about the gospel. Of course not all of them accepted to learn more or even agreed with what I was saying, but I was excited to see how I got to talk with them and ahve good conversations. And it is fun to see how much I've grown int he 2 months or so I've been on campus.We are still teaching some great people. One of them brought a friend along to meet us and nwo we are teaching both of them. We had some good lessons. One guy is progressing well and he reads alot of the Book of Mormon and is really intellectual. I love seeing how he grasps some of the principles of the gospel and hwo they just make sense. The spirit is a big part of it and that is his next big step. To move from intellectual to spiritual learning. It's coming great!We are still teaching some great Chinese people too. Had a funny experience with one. We asked him if he missed China. He said yes, and he misses his girlfriends. We weren't sure how to react to that and my companion just straight up asked, well how many do you have? he quickly responded I only have one! and we explained what he had said and he laughed at his mistake. It made me appreciate serving state side and not having those funny little language mistakes. I was also glad that our investigator was not a player.
Institute: We have been trying lately to make the institute a good resource for members and students to feel welcome. We have decided to make better use of the ping pong table and make some standings for the institute. So during our lunch and dinner hour we eat as fast as we can and try to get competition going and help the institute seem like a fun place to be. It is modeled after what the institute at UW had and it has been working well. Alot of people are getting fired up about ping pong. Some are alos getting overly competitive, which is normal I suppose. It makes me think of Neil when I see people getting so into something like table tennis. I guess some people just have a competitve nature. But it is a fun way of working and interacting with members and students.
Pictures:-I have made it a tradition to make a dessert for the apartment every friday night. A couple weeks ago I made a banana cream pie and a chocolate pudding pie. I'm surprised at how much missionaries are willing to do dishes if you bribe them with dessert. So if you have any ideas of easy desserts that are tasty...I would love hearing about them!-Me and my companion ate jolly ranchers-The weather is slowly getting out of winter. And just when I think we are all the way out...it snows again. yay for the 11th day of spring...
I love you all very much and hope you have a wonderful week!Until next time...Love,Elder Spencer

No comments: